Friday, May 6, 2011

The Joys of a Normal Commute

This morning was the first normal commute all week, and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I have had appointments near my home early in the morning all week.  As a result, I have been coming in to work later and have had to take I-95 to the dreaded DC Beltway to get into the office.

Honestly, I don't know why people drive the Beltway at rush hour every day.  Why do they find standstill traffic and a 50% longer commute acceptable?  I don't and never have.  I have been stressed out all week because of traffic, and I've burned a lot of $4/gallon gas just crawling along at 2 mph for miles.
So rather than sleeping in and having to deal with the worst traffic in the country, I come in really early, I leave early and I take surface streets to avoid the Beltway.  It's not perfect--I still have a long commute and I still have to spend plenty of time sitting at stop lights and pondering the societal implications of unkempt median strips--but it's far better than the alternative.  I know which lane to be in at every point on the trip.  I know where all the speed cameras are and so does everyone else.  There's a predictable flow to the traffic.  Everything has a rhythm.  It just feels right and finally today, so do I.

No comments:

Post a Comment