Tuesday, April 19, 2011

MTOW

It seems to me that there is a lot of money to be made in formulating and shamelessly promoting management theories. My first taste of Management Theory of the Week came back in the mid-90s when I was at business school. Back then, focusing on "core competencies" was all the rage. That was supplanted by something else, and then something else after that. And so on. I didn't pay anything more than lip service to it at the time, and my attitude hasn't changed since. Management (and recently leadership) theories exist solely to make money for their originators through book sales and speaking engagements. They divert attention away from the productive act of doing the work to further an organization's mission and focus that attention on the unproductive act of navel gazing. So I think I will originate and promote my own radical management theory. It won't take long to write the book. In fact, the book will have only 9 pages:

Page 1: Don't
Page 2: over
Page 3: think
Page 4: this.
Page 5: Just
Page 6: get
Page 7: the
Page 8: work
Page 9: done!

I predict it will be a best seller.

No comments:

Post a Comment