Thursday, April 21, 2011

On Hand Transplants and Surgeries

The Blaze has a remarkable story posted today about a California woman who received a hand transplant.  The woman had her right hand amputated five years ago following an accident and received the transplant last month.  Doctors expect that ultimately she will have approximately 60 percent functionality in the transplanted hand.

What caught my eye about this story was the original title of the story:  "Hand Transplant Allows Woman to Clap for First Time in 5 Years."  I had hand surgery back in January and although it certainly was not as complex as a hand transplant, I found it very difficult to clap until recently.  I could type adequately as soon as the cast came off and I could write about a month following the surgery, but clapping remained extremely painful, and it was frustrating because I realized that I clap much more than I ever had considered.  It's one of those small things that you don't really think about until you can't do it.

Thankfully, I'm back to clapping and pretty much everything else.  I wish the hand transplant woman the best as she continues with her extensive physical therapy regimen.

No comments:

Post a Comment