Friday, April 22, 2011

"Peep" Show Offers Glimpse into Interests, Concerns of DC-Area Residents

Viewing the winning entry and 35 finalists in the Washington Post's annual Peep Show contest, which involves readers creating dioramas that feature marshmallow peeps in various scenes, I have made the following conclusions about DC-area residents:
  • They love movies and TV shows - Everything from Black Swan and Inception to The King's Speech were peepified.  On the TV side, Hoarders made it into diorama form, albeit a very crowded one. Can't say I blame them about the whole Hoarders phenomenon.  I am utterly fascinated by hoarding, but I'll save that for another time.
  • They love their iPhones and iPads - Yep, even the long waiting lines at area Apple Stores were represented in peeps, as was at least one "app"--"Angry Peeps."  Again, can't say I blame them.  Either my iPhone or my iPad is with me at all times, although I don't know if I would ever wait in line to buy them.  I don't really buy anything other than groceries in person.
  • They don't like being groped by the TSA, but then again, who would?
  • They don't much care for either Metro or the local electric utility, Pepco.  I gave up riding Metro on a regular basis years ago because of the sheer incompetence with which the system is run.  I would rather brave traffic than ride Metro.  As for Pepco, its ability to keep people in the dark for days after the most routine of storms in the area is uncanny.
  • They have A LOT of extra time on their hands.  These are not the dioramas you did in grade school.  They are complex and undoubtedly took many hours to construct.
So go ahead, take a look.  It's one peep show you can view out in the open. 

No comments:

Post a Comment